Instagram

Thursday 25 August 2016

First Post!

It's tough being a gamer.

This is a very first-world problem situation, I know. Despite the absurdity of saying "it's tough doing things I enjoy," it doesn't change the fact that I have so many wants in life, and there's just not enough time to do it all.

All my life, I've played games of some kind. Video games are the obvious example, but I remember going to some store in Toronto called Jester's Cap to buy Magic cards (my first foray into nerd gaming), and I remember seeing these boxes called "Warhammer" on them. They were toys or models or something, but I was told that you got to put them on a battlefield and play with them. It looked sweet, but as a 13-year-old, it looked prohibitively expensive. Plus, my cousin was "too cool" for this sort of thing, so he quickly talked me out of it.

I would always have a little niggling in the back of my mind that scratched at me and said, "hey... do you wanna play Warhammer?" I repressed it, because it was apparently lame to play games like that.

A year later, I go to visit my friend/neighbours house. We were supposed to play basketball, but he was sick or something. So, I thought I'd be thoughtful and hang with him at his house so he wouldn't be lonely. His brother opened the door, and as I peered in, I saw my friend, with some other people and my cousin who was too cool to play Warhammer... playing Warhammer! The cat was out of the bag. They were all uncool. And so, I joined them.

Years go by, and I get really hardcore in a variety of games. Warhammer, Magic on and off, Vs System (a Marvel and DC card game where you could win a lot of money), UFS, World of Warcraft Card game, Warmachine... basically a lot of time and money spent on a variety of games. When I get into something, I get pretty hardcore. The money part could be tough sometimes, but these days, it's time that I'm lacking.

Despite that, I have somehow found time at 1:00 AM on a random Wednesday (though it's technically Thursday now) to write a blog for posterity. Even if no one else reads this blog, I'll at least have some posterity... the day has been marked: the aY (me) of the Troll Patrol has started a diary, to talk about whatever gaming things are on my mind.

Should I go to sleep, or keep painting some models?

It's tough being a gamer.

-the aY

No comments:

Post a Comment